Thursday, December 31, 2009

Year’s End

Today is the last day of 2009. It is time to reflect on the year gone by and to dream and make plans for the year ahead.

Last year, I looked backward at a year full of illness for my husband. I looked back at a severe drought that had threatened to starve every living thing of life giving water.

This year, I can see the trials and tribulations we've had with the pets being ill; but nothing as wrenching as 2008 and Jim's illness and many close-calls. Looking back at 2009, I see an end to the drought and an almost overabundance of rainfall. We had so much rain that I seldom even had to water the container plants.

Since everyone likes to make lists at this time of the year, I'll try my hand at it.

Ten Worst Things of 2009 at Shady Hollow (in no particular order):

  1. Slugs, they will eat through a garden overnight, and are an animal I truly hate
  2. Sick pets and worry over their recovery (Jay-Jay and then Tigger)
  3. Damping-off disease killing some of my spring seedlings
  4. Not having the big freezer until after the gardening season was over
  5. Did I say slugs?
  6. Over-winter loss of my hibiscus plants (only 1 out of about 6 made it through the winter)
  7. Over-winter loss of my orange cannas (my fault)
  8. My failure to get the cottage de-cluttered, again
  9. Not having friends over more often
  10. Oh, and slugs


 

Ten Best Things of 2009 at Shady Hollow (again, in no particular order):


 

  1. Two artichoke plants have survived the slugs and may produce next year
  2. I finally reclaimed the lower yard/meadow from encroaching undergrowth
  3. The vegetable garden was the best I had ever grown
  4. The cannas gifted to the Hollow by our friend Bill L. did wonderful
  5. I was gifted a crape myrtle by a work friend (once again the Universe came through)
  6. The Rose of Sharon's are all transplanted and doing well
  7. Our wonderful neighbors have been there to help, without being asked, at just the right times
  8. Visits from family and friends
  9. Jim's health has remained stable
  10. I started this blog to share my adventures with the rest of the world


 

I have never tried this exercise before and am happy to report that the best list was much easier to fill than the worst list. That's a good thing, right?


 

Whatever items you have on your worst and best lists of 2009, we at Shady Hollow wish you a happy and prosperous 2010. May each and every one of you be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment