Friday, July 2, 2010

Grown From Seed - First Blooms

One of my grown-from-seed Rose of Sharon bushes bloomed this week. It had one blossom, but at least now I know what color it is.

Cannon 002

A grown-from-seed cannas is also in bloom.

Cannon 009

I love collecting seed and propagating plants. It is a way to be frugal and still have a beautiful garden. Although I sometimes embarrass my husband when in seed collecting mode.

The Rose Of Sharon seeds were collected on a cold February day in 2008 while on a shopping trip. We had parked beside a store’s landscaped border and I couldn’t resist collecting a few seed pods.

In the end I had 11 plants which were planted around Shady Hollow last Spring. 

Cannas seedlings from last years seed collecting are growing now. I didn’t expect this many to germinate!

Cannon 007 

When I save and grow seed from plants such as the cannas and Rose of Sharon I have no idea what the blooms will look like.

I also save and grow daylily seed. A grown from seed daylily takes three years to bloom, minimum. That’s a long time to wait, but sometimes the results can be spectacular.

IMG_0389

Sometimes the bloom color is disappointing, especially with open pollinated seed. For me, and my goal of flowers everywhere I can possibly put them, it’s not a big problem.

I haven’t thrown away a single one.

1 comment:

  1. I have a Rose of Sharon that was given to me by my Preschool Class years ago. I had never thought of taking seeds from it! I learn from you every time I read you Joyce, thank you! Oh..and if you want me to send you some seeds from it just say the word. :)

    ReplyDelete