Saturday, May 26, 2012

Renovation–Complete

We survived the tearing out of the kitchen and dining room floor (down to the floor joists) and remodeling of the kitchen with only a few extra gray hairs and less stress than I had thought. It was stressful though and is something I hope and pray never to undertake again.

IMG_1883

The water damage was bad, Really bad. We even had mold growing on the sheetrock near the floor. So, that had to be torn out too.

We hauled off 2880 pounds of rubble to the landfill.

DSCN0691

Then my son (I love you, son) laid a ceramic floor, installed new cabinets and finished it all off with a ceramic tile counter top and backsplash. The open design gave us much more room and greatly increased my husband’s ability to move around and access the kitchen when I’m away.

DSCN0713

DSCN0719

I love everything about it. I’ve lived here and dealt with the tiny galley kitchen for 22 years. (My son who did the work was only 11 years old when we moved in.) An open floor plan kitchen was always a dream. If not for the water leak it would still be only a dream.

My son turned a disaster into a dream come true for me and his step-dad. We are enjoying each and every day in the new kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment